Saturday, January 26, 2008

Cherry oak casket

I'd like to think i'm not a morbid person in general. I don't get off at the thought of misery or death even. And as my previous post states, i detest death with a passion. Where some cultures celebrate this transition from one world to another, i on the other hand choose not to be a part of it. So i'd like to think.

And as if my subconscious was rebelling, she attended a funeral procession last night.

It was my mother's long time friend since the days before she got married. Family members and close friends stood outside of what looked like their house and beside them I could see the high glossed cherry oak coffin. The sun was out and i could see the light reflect off its surface. A beautiful cascade of the freshest flowers spilled over from the top but yet i still kept my distance.

I paid my respects to the husband and despite the occasion, there were no sounds of sobbing in the background. The overall mood was rather peaceful, quite a change from what my subconscious had been accustomed to lately.

...

When i finally peeled the covers off of me, i did an online search for what it all meant and this is what i found interesting, i guess i knew it all along...;
General Death Symbology - 8 basic levels in this symbol [source]
    1. An indication that a necessary end has come to a certain phase. A transition to something new.
    2. The desire to shed something (attitudes, behaviours, situations etc.)
    3. A suggestion to come to terms with death and the fear of death, meaning a search for fulfillment and productivity.
    4. A limit has been reached and there is an inability to know how to go beyond that limit.
    5. A suggestion to take better care of one's health.
    6. Something is dying inside.
    7. A close connection with somebody deceased.
    8. A desire for peace, solitude, and harmony (the death of fear). According to Jung, dreaming about death means letting go of something that has died; it is a symbol of transformation and a new beginning.
Funeral
...To dream that you are at somebody else's funeral means you are burying an old relationship and closing the lid on the past. You may be letting go of old feelings you've been clinging onto... [source]

Coffin
This dream symbol most likely evokes fear, but before making quick interpretations, carefully consider all of the details in this dream. The coffin could symbolize a lack of energy or vitality in the dreamer. It could represent the death of one stage of life and movement into another. Not necessarily physical death! ... Most simply, and most likely, the coffin in your dreams may represent feelings of confinement and lack of freedom. [source]
And just for a change, i wish my dreams weren't so vivid. Wouldn't it be nice if they were more like flash cards with thick, black strokes... like liquid typography transforming itself on stark white A2 size sheets. It would make dissecting its meaning slightly easier. But considering that i spend most of my day alternating my hours with naps just to kill time, i've grown quite lethargic and uninterested in my waken state. It's almost like a breath of fresh air from my rather predictable day.

I need a new hobby.

No comments: