Monday, January 21, 2008

Paperbacks

:: Beinart International Surreal Art Collective ::
[No i didn't buy this. I just thought the artwork was amazing]

So i decided to venture out of my little hole today and traveled South on the train. Accompanied by familiar tunes and surrounded by blank expressions. Avoiding eye contact, i kept myself busy by darting my stares between the beige coloured flooring, observing peoples' body language and rearranging whatever was in my handbag... for the 3rd time.

After awhile 32 minutes doesn't feel all that long. Eventually i find myself drifting along with the herd. All walking briskly towards the escalators... Exit E? or H? Like sheep, one right after another we disperse and part our ways.

Before i know it i'm in Popular bookstore, Borders and Kinokuniya fondling the paperbacks. There's something i like about crispy new books that don't have their spine bent. I find it almost sacrilegious to completely bend the cover so it kisses the back. I like the spines in perfect condition before and after my purchase. I have know idea why.

I wasn't looking for anything in particular but i browsed through a range of topics that were of interest; Self-Help, Cooking, Design, Travel, Astrology and Erotica.

Often i'll read a chapter or two in the store and then think, oh this is interesting, only to then get home to read a few more chapters and next thing i know my mind has wandered off and it isn't at all what i had thought the book would be about. I guess it's like those skinny mirrors in department stores, somehow the lighting, the angle or maybe the density of recycled air-conditioning somehow distorts ones perception. And then the minute you see yourself in your new purchase outdoors in real life, it's not at all what you had seen staring back at you in the changing room.

Hmmm...

ANYWAY, i don't know what it is but it's rare for me to find a book that really tickles my fancy. Or shall i say one that i will read till the end. I know that sounds very air-head-ish but like bad reception my concentration weakens the further i get into it. And without warning i find myself starting a new chapter from some other book.

ADD? I don't think so. Maybe i should just stick to short stories.

No comments: