Friday, March 27, 2009

The tale of the Invisible hole and the Confused.


I was rudely awaken by the sound of scraping and what sounded like fingers raking the wallpaper at 7:30am. Thinking it would go away i tried to ignore it. But i couldn't. The sound only escalated to hammering at around 9. It sounded like it was directly above my head. I sat up thinking that whoever it was that felt the urge to do household repairs at such an absurd time had dug a hole in our bedroom wall and was now standing beside our bed.

But there was no person or hole, just that annoying banging sound.

So i grabbed my duvet [J has his own] and made my way to the living room and threw it on the sofa. We have no curtains or blinds in there, so not only was the sound not pleasant but the brightness was just as annoying. There i was hoping that i would escape the sound but to my disappointment the sound seemed to follow me. It echoed throughout the apartment and i could feel a headache coming on.

I must have fallen asleep because the next thing i knew it was 11am and i had just dreamt of a murder of which i had been apparently involved in. I went back into the room to see if there was any damage to our wall. Half awake, barefoot and very confused from the dream, i stood there thinking there'd be a dead body tucked away somewhere.

But there was nothing. Not even J.

I was sure i didn't say good-bye to him this morning. I knew he didn't have to go into work until much later. And for a second there i panicked. He wasn't in the bathroom or the kitchen. Our place is not that big and has very few hiding spots. But it took me a while to register that we actually have another bedroom directly opposite our room. One that screams CHILD ZONE.


And nestled in a cloud of primary and secondary colours there he was, oblivious to what had just happened he peeled open his eyes. Distracted once again, all i could think was, why didn't i think about hiding in this room?

No comments: