Saturday, February 17, 2007

Barney and officers continue to test my patience.

I made it over the border after being seated behind a couple and a toddler high on sugar. The aisle isn’t all that big and having to watch a 5ft 11in man stoop down to grab hold of his child’s hand as she catwalks her way up and down gets a tad tiring.

You could see his apologetic face each time his child swatted her way past someone or refused to sit quietly. At one point I must have given him a WHY CAN’T YOU KEEP YOUR KID ON A LEASH glare before he was quick to whip out a talking Barney the purple dinosaur as a means of distraction. I couldn't decide which one was more annoying.

By the time I got to the border I was tired and stressed out from work. All I wanted to do was get to the other side with as little effort as possible. I’ve done this trip so many times the only difference was I traveled with a baggage full of stress and worries.

But nooOOooo… not only did i have to line up behind some guy who forgot to fill out his immigration card but the second line i chose to stand in had visa issues. So i figured 3rd time lucky, i'd go to the last booth and when it was finally my turn the customs had decided to act like they didn’t know where my last entry stamp was.

Clearly an excuse to examine which other countries I’ve traveled to and a reason to prolong my wait. One would think as a customs officer looking at hundreds of passports a day, it wouldn’t be so difficult. I'm sure they've seen E.U passports before! But mine had to be the lucky one to get a full examination as he nodded each time he came past an expired visa or unfamilar stamp.

So with one guy flipping from page 1 when clearly it would have made sense to start from the last page, the other was impressed with my nationality. And even took the initiative to say my full name out loud hoping that would impress me. He pronounced it wrong but I still gave him a half arsed smile.

Then it took another officer to have one glance at the second to last page of my passport [which I had pointed out to the guy earlier that that was my last entry stamp]. And all i could think in my head was "Hello! How hard is it to match the stamp on my immigration card and in my passport?"

Keeping my manners in check, i said thanks and gave them my half arsed smile once they gave me the chop and then they had the nerve to continue to flirt with me as i rushed towards the bus.

2 comments:

Curio said...

Haha I knoww...our borders people give great impressions for our country. Haha and they flirted with you! Have a great CNY with your family south of the border!

winkris said...

Thanks alex... happy new year to you too.