Saturday, February 03, 2007

Brought to you by the letter X

I had 2 deadlines due yesterday, one of which i was asked to help out a colleague since he's completely bogged down with work. But it didn't help that i had to keep calling him over to my desk since i knew he would be very particular about the details. And what made it even more frustrating was he created his layouts in a software that wasn't specifically designed for the type of work he was laying out. So what would have taken me a few clicks of a button to change the style sheets, i had to manually go through each and every section, both time consuming and irritating.

And to add to my annoyance level, i had no previous knowledge of this job and it meant that all the files and images were all new to me. So 3 hours past my deadline and an AE hovering behind me to get it done, it just added to my stress levels. But once the PDFs were sent over to the client, i went straight into doing changes for another job and to do yet another mock up... it was 6pm by the time that was done.

So with nothing but a Marks & Spencers' Cranberry and Orange cereal bar i got on discount and several cups of coffee to keep me motivated, my energy levels were practically non existent.

Then my boss returns from his meetings and i tried to speak to him about my annual leave so he could sign along the dotted line. But being the busy bee that he is, it's nearly impossible to catch him when he's free. So when i thought he had disappeared to go to the loo, minutes later i find out he had actually gone home for the day. FuuUUUuuuuck!

It didn't help that the same colleague who i was helping complete his layouts, has been busting to go on a 2 week break during CNY and has only JUST got his leave approved with the condition that he completes another job before he leaves.

So whilst sucking down a cigarette and giving my boss a missed call and a SMS, there still was no answer! Which means i have to wait 2 extra days for an answer.

Arriving home about 9.30, i was still on edge. Knowing that there might be a slight chance that he won't approve my leave started to freak me out. I felt like i was having a mini heart attack, i thought i was seriously going to lose it.

My ability to handle stressful situations is horrible and like one of those Captain Planet characters, a sudden force of Anger builds up out of nowhere. Suddenly memories of a year ago flashed before my eyes and the thought of doing something utterly stupid crossed my mind again and that freaked me out. It didn't help that the night before i barely got a wink of sleep and my head was overloaded with all sorts of worry and rubbish.

And having given up Xanax for quite some time, i remembered i had kept a stash from my previous visits to my shrink and its moments just like these that they would come in handy. A little bit of peace of mind that can finally allow me to 'just breathe'.

No comments: