Sunday, February 18, 2007

Traditionally untraditional

Today happens to be the 1st day of the lunar New Year and according to the calendar it’s the year of the golden pig.

But it’s been a number of years since my family has celebrated the full-blown Chinese way. When my sister and I were younger we’d follow our parents to visit their friends houses and to wish “uncles” and “aunties” a happy new year. Never mind that they weren’t actually ‘family’ but being brought up in a western culture it seemed odd to call an elder Auntie So-and-so when in fact they had no blood relations.

Even to this day, I rarely greet elders with the title Auntie or Uncle. It’s not because I’m trying to rebel against tradition or want to be rude, i just have not been raised to say that to another and feel more comfortable addressing them as Mr or Mrs Insert-surname. I blame the Western side of me.

Gone are the days where I’d hear BINGO in the corner and Auntie Sylvia call out “ 2 fat ladies… eight… eight, eighty-eight” followed by a string of laughs by those listening.

It’s been years since our family has done our rounds of visiting friends and relatives. Much like Christmas, our celebration is kept low profile and is purely for close family and friends. And the only tradition that my mother adheres to is to visit her best friend of 35 years on the 2nd day of the lunar New Year. A time where grand kids and friends gather whilst sipping alcohol and munching on home made popiah.

But out of respect for my mother who does celebrate Chinese New Year, I make an effort to see her during this festive season. Not so much in tradition since the only signs that my parents household does celebrate is the huge basket of mandarin oranges in the corner and the boxes of nibbles on the coffee table and of course the ang pow that I receive from them.

And my day was spent in front of the tv watching Animal Planet with the folks and nibbling on love letters and peanut cookies. Then later eating one of my mom’s grandmother’s vegetarian recipes for lunch. Having tossed the Yee Sang on the eve of the new year, traditionally saved for the 3rd day, i wonder what else will be different this year?

But following our family’s non-traditional ways, my folks and I will have Lebanese food for dinner followed by a visit to the pet store so I can purchase unnecessary items for my soon-to-be spoilt kitten.

But to those readers who do celebrate this lunar New Year... here's hoping the year brings lots of luck, better health and happy times for everyone. I won't wish for Love but hey, there's no harm in askin'.

No comments: