Thursday, February 22, 2007

Kick to the right side

I'm sure everyone will agree any form of rejection is always a blow to one's ego. And then to have a design repeatedly rejected is just as disappointing.

For the past week i've been racking my brain to come up with a decent direction. CORRECTION... a direction that my boss approves of. Let's name this job, PROJECT FamousType.

So trying to see eye to eye with my boss who not only is unable to justify why the layout is not working but to simply dismiss it, is damn frustrating! Then to be told that if i can't get the typography right NOW, i won't get it at all. He might as well have said, gawd Christina you're a shit designer, i'm surprised you even HAVE a job.

Which of course he didn't. But then again, it was him that did hire me and i can only assume he was able to see SOME creative spark in me.

But before going on my CNY break i was in a discussion with him but due to his incoming phone call and my desperate need to catch a bus to head South, i had to leave half way through our meeting. And as i was practically running out the door, he mentioned i BETTER get my design sorted out by the end of the week...

And that deadline happens to be tomorrow.

So not only did i spend my holiday STRESSED the fuck out because i questioned my capabilities as a designer but i realised my creative ability had gone to the shits! Seriously, if i can't get a simple layout done, what is the point of my job?

And since returning to work yesterday, i've been concentrating on trying to get a layout that my boss agrees on. Convinced that if i didn't get it right this time, i might as well starting looking into finding a new job. I think i saw a notice for shop assistant down the road... *sigh* I wonder if they hire expats?

I am almost certain my previous job drained every creative juice in my body. You can't begin to understand how disappointing it is to be told that the work that i did during my university and Honor year was far more impressive then what i produced during 3 years in a full paying job.

I had in fact slipped and suddenly i felt i was not worthy of my title.

So being given a second chance at picking up the pieces i KNOW i can do better. And with a few kicks to the butt not only has scared the living crap out of me but being employed as a Graphic Designer is the only thing i know how to do.

To be honest, not only would i fail as a cashier if i didn't have a calculator but the thought of wearing a hair net and smelling like grease doesn't sit too well with me... sorry. Fortunately, i STILL have a job and thankfully it's the only thing that pays for my rent and keeps me from not bludging off my folks anymore.

BUT i am happy to say 3 out of 11 layouts have been given the OK. Now it's on to the the 2nd direction, which he's pretty much mapped out for me, i just have to scrape together enough creative dust around me to execute it. So far it's looking positive.

*Fingers crossed*



No comments: