Wednesday, June 14, 2006

How True.

So i made it over the border with no issues. I've only missed my flight once and that was because i was watching the shuffle competition in Times Square some time back and was waiting for my mates to dance. I got so wrapped up in it that i lost track of time. So never again... had to buy another ticket and didn't get a refund on my flight. That was Christmas eve 2005... DAMN IT there goes my money again!

Reached KLIA with lots of time to spare. The dude at the SIA check in counter was trying to pick me up... was the funniest thing. There i was not looking my best and looking like i just crawled out of bed [which was pretty much the truth]. There he was eyeing my passport and asking all sorts of questions about where i work. And knowing that my permit was ending on the 14th and then asking whether i'll be coming back. Finally he says, "...well do you think i can have your number?" My response was, "that's a bit sneaky... i don't think you're allowed to ask passengers that" ahahha. Then he shyly puts his finger infront of his mouth and goes "shhhh... just kidding" But I KNOW he secretly wanted me to scribble my digits on one of them departure cards... ahahha. I thanked him for my ticket and said, "thanks but i don't think so" *smiled then waved good-bye*

So that amused me for a little while... and went out to have a smoke.

Then as i was walking through the airport trying to buy time and fiddling around with my iPod... a bunch of guys walk past [obviously in transit and very much amused that a pint and a half sized person like myself was adorned with ink on her arm]. They tried to get my attention as i walked past... but i couldn't hear jack shit... and continued walking. Yes how snobbish of me but i was hungry and i was on a mission to get to Burger King.

Then it dawned on me whilst i was sitting there feeding my face with a BK fish burger, how many attractive male specimens were at the airport this evening. I wasn't in much of a "well hello there stranger" kinda mood... so i kept to myself. HOWEVER, if the situation were different and i happened to be in club with a Dunhill Light in one hand, an alcoholic beverage in another and music blaring in the background, i think my PR skills would come in VERY handy. I'd be sure to be schmoozing and releasing my alter ego for the night.

But no, i was just another stranger in a big open space, wasting time and staring at the departures screen. As i walked around with my headphones on blaring my music, i kept getting strange looks from people. I was convinced that part of my fish burger had found a resting place somewhere between my teeth. Or i had tomato sauce smeared across my face. Call me Paranoid but i get uncomfortable when either sex stares at me deliberately for an extended amount of time. More so if i find the individual attractive... i'm damn fucking shy believe it or not!

So i disappeared into the book store, hoping that i'd find a book that i could bury myself in. If you didn't know, my attention span when it comes to reading is very small. So staring at book covers and reading the various titles, didn't exactly turn me on. The only book i managed to finish [that is without skipping various chapters because of my impatience] is the book that i featured on the right; My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One Night Stands. I highly recommend it. I usually read books that have some relation to my life or i find a chapter highly amusing. But often my initial assumptions are wrong and the book remains on my shelf for months on end.

But i did manage to find one book that caught my eye, Smashed: Growing Up a Drunk Girl by Koren Zailckas. I'm only on page 66 but already her descriptions of her many alcoholic adventures and having started at a tender age of 14 sounds very similar to my own. The author writes around the same time frame that i was first introduced. Even being able to relate to what people wore; yes i admit, i am guilty of wearing plaid shirts, baby doll dresses and army boots.

For those of you who were a teen in the early 90s, you'll remember how bands such as Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Crash Test Dummies and Radiohead were praised. It was the time when Grunge was "in". So far in the book i find myself nodding and being able to relate to various incidents even though i was never educated in the States. Strangely i am able to agree on even the kind of alcohol 'we' chose to consume at the start... Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill wine... ahahhaha... a sad arse excuse of a alcoholic drink just so we could get wasted.

Twelve years later, i've managed to work myself up in the ethanol potency. My preferred alcoholic beverage to date, Johnnie Black Label + water + ice. Actually, i'll pretty much drink anything EXCEPT if there's an Aniseed taste to it... *spew spew* That shit is nasty!

No comments: