Saturday, December 02, 2006

An alcohol-free Friday and a hint of Merlot.

I am trying very hard to keep to my promise of not cutting my hair. Accepting the fact that my Rapunzel-wannabe hair needs more than a few missed trims and a few added years. So instead, i have opted to experiment with colours.

Not too long ago i decided to get my hands on a box of hair dye. An affordable alternative to getting a make over. And being slightly short on cash the option of getting my hairstylist to pick a shade that compliments my skin tone wasn't looking too promising.

I figured all those years i spent experimenting with different shades during my early years would definitely come in handy when choosing one brand over another.

And a few weeks back i chose a sandy brown and it ended up being wee bit lighter than i was normally used to. But i didn't tie in the effects of the suns' rays, chlorine and pollutants, i noticed the shade was heading towards a Tamarin monkey colour. NOT GOOD.

In an impulsive decision making mood, i decided a 'change' was in order. Headed to Guardian before heading home and grabbed a bottle of fire engine red Sally Henson's nail polish aka a shade that an Attention Seeker/Hooker might choose. And checked out the hair dye.

Examining each colour shown on the box and questioning whether the close up shot is true to its content. I juggled between the many tints of reds, blacks and browns. Squinting under the fluorescent lights and imagining my hair to be similar to the twisted artificial hair attached to the shelf talker.

And instead of attending my client's birthday celebration and potentially crossing paths with beautiful people and/or eligible bachelors, i chose to have an alcohol-free Friday. And within minutes of arriving home i ripped open the box and began my metamorphosis. Massaging the dye and watching the cream turn a deep lavender. Then witnessing the cross blend of my previous shade and what i hoped the box portrayed. I couldn't help but think, "Shit, i'm going to look like a ribena berry had thrown up on my head!"

30 minutes later and stained finger nails [yes i did wear gloves but i guess there was a hole], my hair was infused with fruity goodness and stained a deep purple. I guess the end result lived up to the brand's colour code of "Blackcurrent". However, i haven't seen it under the sun but i'm sure it's not too far off from looking like i had just dunked my head in a barrel of Cabernet Merlot.

No comments: