Friday, December 22, 2006

Just ONE more!

I am in desperate need for a present for my mom. I've looked practically everywhere and there's NOTHING out there that i think she'd want. Without putting thought into it, i risk seeing my gift finding its way in the cupboard amongst all the other unsuccessful gifts.

Yes, i'm totally over the long queues and mass produced Santa figurines. The elevator Christmas music that's on repeat in shopping malls. I just want to chuck the wrapped gifts under the tree and get it over and done with.

Yet, i can spend hours if not days looking for the right gift. Often taking into account the recipients' personality, what they do for a living, their hobbies, colours and what not. Hey! Some people are anal when it comes to cars and their hobbies. I, on the other hand, don't have a hobby, so gift hunting keeps me focused. Which probably explains why i'm not yet done with my shopping and i'm racking my brains for ideas! There's something about spending and buying new things that makes it all therapeutic.

The idea of buying presents for others, keeps me from thinking negative thoughts and coming up with more fucked up reasons why i turned out the way i am. Not necessarily healthy for my bank account and savings. I guess i've taken time out to reflect on the past year. Knowing that the amount of shit i went through is nearing its' end. It makes me anxious and eager to close the chapter in case it mysteriously repeats itself.

Blah, blah, blah. Yes, yes... Merry bloody holidays and Happy Everything!


Anyway, i'm crossing the border as of tomorrow afternoon and won't be back for about a week. Time for home cooked food, a ridiculous amount of shopping, lots of sleep and best of all, ripping open wrapped presents! I just hope EVERYTHING goes smoothly. It is rare for my family to celebrate a special occasion WITHOUT having some kind of drama unfolding. It's moments like those i wish i was elsewhere. And it's been awhile since the WHOLE family celebrated Christmas together. Oh well, we'll see.
I have less than 24 hours to;
  1. Clean up the mess that i've made in the kitchen and living room.
  2. Fold my laundry and store them.
  3. Remind myself that MINIMAL packing is necessary.
  4. Pay ALL my bills online.
  5. Most importantly, bank in my salary.
  6. Search for a present FOR MOM.

No comments: