Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Just a tad too much...

Determined to get all, if not most of my shopping complete by today, i was on a mission. Just so i would have enough time to wrap them up and in case i had forgotten anyone, i still had time to hunt for something without making it look too last minute.

I guess one can never go wrong with chocolate or candy. Unless of course you're a diabetic or eating lettuce with no dressing is what you consider a main meal. In which case a jumbo pack of cotton buds is sure to be a winner. But then again, that could suggest that the recipient has dirty ears and sometimes the topic of hygiene doesn't go down so well in some relationships.

I scurried along trying to hunt for the right gift and although faced with dozens of options. It took me so long to make a decision as i was worried i may in fact find something better. So i found myself buying both, just to make my life easier.

But to add to the pressure, the mall was closing and i had about 10 minutes to grab last minute items that i thought best suited each recipient. With a stomach full of ice lemon tea and tortilla chips, i excused myself from the table and did a mad rush to have one last look at the stalls and before my meal arrived.

Never the one to order just a caesar salad and soup for dinner, i decided that i would this time round and NO i'm not on a diet! TRUST ME, when i'm hungry, I'M HUNGRY. Don't underestimate my size, i can pack in a decent amount. But with the recommendation that the broccoli and cheese soup is good, i couldn't resist. Tired of making anymore decisions, i went ahead and ordered it despite having no idea what it would taste or look like. I presumed it would be a purée/cream of broccoli with a LITTLE BIT of cheese either on top or blended in to give it the sharpness.

By the time i got to the table, 10 or so minutes later, my food had arrived. I sat down and stared down at my coagulated yellow mess with a sad arse excuse for broccoli bits in it. Even parsley looks more appetizing and that's usually the first to be removed.

As they say, we eat with our eyes therefore it is important that presentation is good. Which is why the colour RED and YELLOW is used for many food outlets and branding purposes. It is known to trigger hunger and is more pleasing to the eye. But let me tell you, in the case of my soup, it tasted exactly how it looked. It was a bowl of kraft cheddar cheese, the kind you find in a can.

Simply put, it was...


No comments: