Saturday, December 23, 2006

Mistaken Identity

Yesterday i found myself walking aimlessly on the top floor of the shopping mall. Unaware that i was about to enter a furniture store. Homeware for the Design conscious and individuals with an obscene amount of high disposable income. A concoction of Windex cleaner and the smell of spankin' new leather circulated the room. The objects for sale were arranged in such a way that it felt like you just walked into somebody's living room.

I made sure i examined the whole store, knowing perfectly well that i can't afford anything on display. Perhaps the bottle opener was more in my price range. Stopping momentarily at random pieces for a few seconds, as a jesture of appreciation much like a casual stroll through a museum. However, the well crafted and aesthetically pleasing subjects of Art stood cramped amongst the other equally ridiculously priced items.

But just as i'm trying to find my way to the other end of the store, my phone rings. On one hand i'm trying not to drop my bags and on the other, making sure i'm far away from the RM1,500 vases.

I quickly flip open my phone just as South Park's character, Cartman screams a string of vulgarity at the top of his lungs, followed by a repetition of the word, "FUCK". [And people wonder why i pick up my phone so fast]. I thank my previous colleague for sending me the ring tone, and apparently it reminded him of me.

Hello?
Hi Christina how are you? [And unless the caller is trying to sell me something, i'm slightly taken back when a random number begins his conversation asking about my emotional state].

I'm fine. Thank you. How are you? [An automatic response, followed by the same question back. Often out of courtesy and habit].

So what are you doing tonight?
Huh? Uhhhhh... *QUICK think of something* i'm meeting up with some friends. *Concentration and internal voice recognition is on High Alert. And as usual, i'm unable to put a face to the voice* I'm sorry, who is this?

Huh? You don't know *laughs* it's Calvin.
Calvin? Which Calvin? I know a lot of Calvins. [At this point, i'm getting intoxicated flashbacks of Zouk and Havinita nights. Who did i give my number to this time?] Umm, i think i remember you calling me a few nights ago.

It's Calvin Surname-I-Can't-Remember. Is this not Christina? Christina Lim.

Oh no, i'm sorry you've got the wrong number. I'm Christina but not the one you're looking for.
Oh no! I'm so sorry *Utter embarrassment disguised by laughter*.

So in a span of 5 minutes, not only did i say i had plans to a complete stranger but i managed to reject him a second time. A case of Mistaken Identity. Let's hope his efforts were not put to waste since they do say, third time's a charm.

ATTENTION: Should there be a Christina Lim amongst my silent readers. Please be informed that this Calvin person has called twice. He speaks with a non-irritating accent and speaks English with confidence. You will be happy to know he does NOT end his responses as though it's a question. Neither have i heard him add the words LA, MEH or MA to the end of every sentence! Better still, he is polite over the phone.

So i strongly suggest, if Christina Lim is reading this, to have your mobile phone ON and start clearing your schedule. Save the poor bugger from another kick to the balls and agree on a meeting place. Good luck!

No comments: