Saturday, January 20, 2007

Damn those blood suckers!

Being the semi-good pet owner that i am, i decided enough was enough. I wasn't going to risk coming home to a one eared kitten. Or worse, rummaging through my clutter for a mangy looking ear.

So Miss Protein rings me in the morning and says she's near by my place and whether i wanted a ride to work. 15 minutes later i find myself grabbing my bag, pet carrier and a slightly confused looking kitten talking all sorts of jibberish. And as i sit at my desk and position the carrier door so it faces me, Crusty flutters his eyelids closed.

Lunch time rolls around and the book store guy walks in to display a range of design books for sale. Always tempted to add another book to my collection, i notice he's brought in my favorite book of 2006, Illusive. An inspiring collection of mixed media, scribbles and vector art done by a range of designers.

As i flip through the section with pen and paper, my envy grows like a wild fire... i wish i knew how to draw.

But time was running out, the vet was about to close for lunch. So i had to say farewell again to my book, as the health of Mr Crusty was my priority. Then i find out that i can take the book and pay for it the next time the guy returns [after CNY]. Extremely excited, i signed the receipt and placed the book on my desk.

10 minutes later, i find myself at the vet and explaining that i THINK Mr Crusty has some random skin issue, more specifically mites. So i put the carrier on the table and i can already hear a series of hisses followed by several pitches of vicious warnings. I take a step back and let the assistant grab hold of Smooks.

He gets his weight checked and it appears he's steadily putting on weight. Currently weighing in at 2.7kg, not quite ready for the heavy weights but Friskies is doing its job. However, slightly on the bony side of life, i'm still on the hunt for a particular meat he prefers.

The vet whips out a blade and attempts to scrape off a sample of the skin so he can examine it under the microscope. And after all that, i find out he does NOT have mites but those weird crusty sores is the result of mosquito bites.

Yes, my cat has had an allergic reaction, basically he's hypersensitive to mozzie saliva. Yes those blood sucking bitches are attracted to Smooks. So i ask my vet, so what can i do to help Crusty seeing that i do live in a tropical and humid climate?

I keep him indoors, so it's not like he's pimpin' himself to the neighborhood strays. I just have to keep the doors and windows closed and wait for it to get better. But to speed up the healing process, my vet gives him an injection. Apparently it'll hurt a SHIT LOAD more than his usual vaccination... it's straight into the muscle!

So like his owner who is chicken shit when it comes to injections, i can only look away. It's accompanied with the loudest and heart wrenching cries of hatred. It takes the assistant and the vet to try and hold him down. I stand in the corner and the vet is unable to inject the full dose, so he stabs him in the muscle the second time. It's only then that the full dose is given and Smooks leaps off the table.

I'm not sure who's more relieved but finally it's over.

I take him home and burn some Citronella oil in the burner. And since i was at home and in no rush to get back to the office as it was technically still lunch time, i make myself some home cooked food for lunch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm I wonder if you could give him antihistemines once in a while just to make sure he doesn't get a reaction. or is that bad? :o\ dunno.

haha you should put calamine lotion on him then he'll be crusty AND Pink lol

winkris said...

hmmm... a mangy lookin ear or a kitten that throws up everywhere?

hmmmm... i think i'll choose the crusty ear for now and suffocate behind closed doors for awhile.

Other than that, he's still as hyper as ever.