Tuesday, May 22, 2007

At times i self-medicate.

I don't think i'm a hypercondriac.

In fact unless i'm looking like death has danced all over my body and my energy levels are as good as gone, then i will consider going to the doctor who will then feed me pills with names i can't pronounce and prescribe antibiotics that i always try to avoid.

Most of the time ones's body builds a resistance towards certain meds in particular antibiotics, so the more you consume the higher the dosage you will need [makes sense]. And being the sickly child that i was when i was a little lass, my toddler years were spent in hospital due to having an asthmatic cough. Apparently so bad that i would often turn blue in my fits of coughing.

So antibiotics were often injected into my practically lifeless body and as my body tried to repair itself my lymph nodes were often on overdrive and enlarged as a result.

And over time the body has its way of fighting all those wonderful virus'. Then there are times when your immune system is down and some viral infected individual coughs or sneezes in your direction and somehow it gets lodged in an opening in your body.

Then BAM... you're sick. [Obviously, it's a little bit more technical than that, yes i am not a doctor. I only know when i'm not well].



So visits to the pharmacy is usually a case of self medication. I think i'm old enough to read the labels and be able to differentiate between a chesty and a dry cough.

*coughs*

Currently my desk is decorated with random bottles. Most of which have remained there since i started work here and it's only when i can sense a cold coming on then i turn to Echinacea pills to keep it at bay. I even have a nearly empty strip of Decolgen which so happens to be taken off the market because they found an ingredient that is the cause of brain bleeds!

But so far, i've managed to keep both my lungs and my cough is relatively under control. I take my AD's daily [i have a reminder on my desk just incase]. Oh and i never believed that by drinking chilled drinks when one has a cough will worsen it. I still smoke [very bad habit... bad bad bad] but i'm proud to say i'm smoking slightly less. However, i am forever forgetting to take my vitamins [which is why my bottle remains practically full].

But then AnBloodyMumNohMore found an article online: Go Easy on The Vitamins. Interesssssting. And on top of that i KNOW i don't drink enough liquids [too bad that coffee and alcohol doesn't count].

But other than that... i'm doing fine thanks!

4 comments:

Duke said...

Hope you feel better buddy.

Unknown said...

dettol in different levels of concentration can do wonders

winkris said...

Buddy: I'll be 'rite =) Nothin like a bit of germs in the system to kick my immune system into gear ;)

lanatir: True! I guess that's why it's an antiseptic solution.

But i'm not soooOooo into gargling anything that smells like the interior of a hospital.

Unknown said...

it's the cure for cancer i tell u...

the saviours of mankind
- dettol
- panadol
- listerine
- optrex

all interchangeable