Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A Quark roll and side portion of nuts please.

I am so proud of myself, i've actually done A LOT of work today. OK i lied, not heaps but a decent amount that has made me sit on my arse and work continuously since i walked in this morning [minus my lunch break].

Deafened by music blaring through my headphones, i see AnBloodyMumNoMore wave frantically in my direction to get my attention. My boss has come back from his emergency leave and wants to see me in his office. Like a deer caught in the headlights, i freeze at my desk. A couple of strides North East of where i sit, i find myself at his doorway bright eyed and i tap on the glass.

He wants to see the visuals.

All i can think was... SHIT... i've only just finished the second half AND the first half that i did over the weekend refuses to open. The other designer has her mock-up done and is FINISHED!

I print my thumbnails, so he gets a jest of what i'm doing. I return and explain my dilemma without it sounding too dramatic but apparently the part he wants to see is the 1st half... YES... THE HALF THAT QUARK DECIDES TO CORRUPT! *Throws various obscene hand/finger gestures to her computer screen*

He explains to me that if i don't finish the visuals, he's taking me off the job. And all i can think of was negative thoughts...

OH.
MY.
FUCKING.
GAWWWD...
What a fantastic impression i've made, 5 months and I'm going to be fired because Quark hates me.

But i swear to him that i'll get it done... i've been in this predicament before where timing is crucial and i'm racing against the clock. [It's strange how adrenalin and fear can make you concentrate]. I am later told that i MUST have the visuals done by Thursday. [THANK YOU!]

So as i exit his room feeling like the shotgun has been removed from my head... i return to my seat and crack open the container filled with fried broad beans and salted peanuts that i have sitting on my table and begin nibbling away.

I've got a few more spreads to do and i should be good to go. *Prays for Lady luck to linger on just a little longer* But after practically ODing on peanuts, i realise that nuts are the root of all evil.

2 comments:

calvism said...

i hate quark, i prefer in-design! good luck with the work.

winkris said...

Only problem is i've spent years on Quark, it's like a love-hate relationship. Like all things, we have our good days and our very bad days... *sigh* I have yet to get into in-design.