Thursday, May 11, 2006

Stop playing Art Director!

You know what pisses me off HARDCORE... and i'm sure all you designers out there will probably agree with me on this... Is when the client decides to play Art Director!

It fucking irritates the shit outta me. As a designer, one is trained in a speciality, that is why we get a fucking degree. He/she may be educated for x amount of years learning the basics and for the remaining x amount of years using their right side of their brain to create pieces of creativity. Yes that is what we're being paid to do and that is why many of us decided to get into this field!

And in waltzes the client with their new pirated version of Adobe illustrator. Then feeling so proud of themselves after finding the paint brush function, decides oh i can do that too! The hours the designer has spent on creating a finished piece that is to their satisfaction, is simply dismissed! What the fuck is that all about? If they wanted to do it themselves, why did they even bother having a briefing when they could get their in-house designer or their son/daughter to play with a compilation of Adobe software for RM20!

I mean seriously, what the fuck is the point of our job?
This is our passion and let us do the art directing and be the creative one.

...

So my senior designer and i are going to speak with our AE later and give him our 2 cents... and we have a list of WHY we think it looks like shit and on top of that, it doesn't even go with the concept behind the fucking rebranding. It looks tacky and it's an insult to me and especially to my colleague who spent hours developing the idea and artwork!!!

I refuse to let the client get away with shit like that and we will fight back. Sneaky little fuckers thinking it's so fucking simple to copy and paste... I DON'T THINK SO! So my last words are... FUCK YOU!

3 comments:

Duke said...

Stay calm buddy, if the client wants to do it and you get paid for it that is sweet!
Leaves more time for you to write some more!

winkris said...

heya duke!

Yea it's a never ending battle but yea, we have voiced it out and have managed to convince the AEs to speak to the client.

But neither my senior designer or myself are working on it until we get feedback. But by that time, i will no longer be working here... so to be honest, i can't be bothered, cause i won't have to look at the crappy work.

But yes, i will always find time to vent out my stresses/issues/dramas for the world to read... eheheh =)

See ya Saturday budddddddy!

YC said...

Babe. Tell me about it. Ha.