Friday, November 10, 2006

Heads it is.

Plans were made earlier this week that i'd accompany my ex colleague to one of the many bars that seem to be opening. Although nothing was set in concrete i said i'd call him on Thursday [yesterday/the day the opening was] if i could make it. And it so happened that CarShowJu had passed me an invitation to the opening when we went for birthday drinks on Tuesday.

So anyway, having worked right through the night and stumbling into work by mid-afternoon with an ache in my lower back and eyeballs fashionably red. I did as much as make a few changes to some past work and fiddled around online.

Next thing i knew, Chook calls to say he's on his way to EVOKE. And instead of waiting for my ex colleague who so happens to be at some other bar, i get a ride with Chook. And after circling the block numerous times for an available space once we get there i enthusiastically yell "THERE" like an eagle spotting a rodent when a space is available.

The bar itself is a modern looking space with the bar taking up most of the room. But with the free flow between 7-9pm the place was infested with bodies clinging onto their cups and trying to find space to stand. And with 2 beer taps and not enough man power, it took longer than expected to take advantage of the free booze. Trying to walk past the bar that's lined with bar stools and a wall lined with people, meant anybody who tried to pass would unintentionally graze a few crotches or swipe a few pair of breasts [both female and male].

Which is when the innocent smile and the option that eyes have are to either focus straight ahead or to the floor with the occasional, "i'm sorry... excuse me... thanks" inserted to emphasize that you're JUST passing through and not just trying to rub up against them for good luck or steal their space.

I got as far as dabbing my finger on Chook's chicken satay [and no that is not some sexual innuendo... ahhaha]. It was drenched in peanut sauce and me being a vegetarian meant that satay is not on my menu, unfortunately. The beer made me sleepy and the cool air just added to the whole sleepiness. So MissLashes, Chook and i went off to eat nearby.

And for the first time in my life i tried stingray. And although the fish had no relations to the one responsible for the freak accident, i couldn't help but keep saying, "Steve Irwin" each time i took another bite. I have to admit... it was rather tasty.

The next hour was spent contemplating whether we'd head to Maison for their RnB night. Even going as far as flipping a coin in the car to decide whether we should go or not.

Heads we go... Chook called Heads.

I later found myself sipping my whiskey + water and spent most of the night trying to conceal my yawns and shifting my weight from one side to another. Leaning against the side rail and amusing myself by watching all the underaged girls grind up against each other in packs of 4 or more. Feeling i had crossed some new territory. Eyes scanned over everyone as a means of identification and a non-verbal indication that perhaps one is worthy of being 'checked out'. I failed to meet that criteria although i had worn a skirt, heels, singlet + beaded necklace to work that day. But then again, my facial expression and body language didn't exactly scream, "helloooOoooo boys" either.

Having not gone to a RnB joint in months, it was like walking into a stranger's house. Unsure where to go but to stand quietly like a wall flower and making conversation with only those you recognise.

By 1 o'clock [as agreed] we'd head home. And sure enough by 12.55 Chook said his farewells whilst i continue to lean back against the railing and stare up at a girl on the balcony with a very short skirt bopping to Fergie's London Bridge.

No comments: