Monday, November 13, 2006

A touch of My Fair Lady

I spent my whole weekend at home and only leaving my apartment for no more than a minute to throw my trash down the rubbish chute yesterday evening. Making a tuna sandwich at some point and polishing off the bag of Ruffles Cheddar & Sour Cream crisps i had opened the minute i got home on Friday. I practically live the university life diet.

Unintentionally i kept the curtains shut to emphasize the hybernation factor. And every other hour crawl back into bed because i couldn't be bothered to watch tv or go online. That's as exciting as my weekend got.

But i went to get my hair trimmed on Friday, as one does on a Friday evening... no clubbing or drunken conversations for this lil lass. Telling the senior hairstylist that i'm trying to grow my hair out and just to shape it in such a way that it doesn't look like i had attacked myself with a pair of scissors.

Not to be sexist or anything but i find it odd having a male shampoo boy but that's not to say i have anything against them. Usually i get my head massaged and scrubbed by some young female trainee, who speaks very little english and for some odd reason sports a mullet. But this time around, i was getting my scalp massaged by the opposite sex.

As i sat their flipping through a past issue of Glamour, it felt different. Feeling his soapy hands knead out the twisted muscles in my neck and shoulders was just what i needed. I didn't pay much attention to what he looked like as i had my specs off. But i was inclined to say screw the hair cut, just keep massaging that kink out of my neck young man.

And just as i was getting into it with my hair piled high on top of my head and water slowly dripping down my forehead, he instructed me to go to the basin so he could rinse out the shampoo. So much for that idea.

After a few cuts here and there then snipping off the whispy ends to tidy the back, suddenly my hairstyle went from a haircut Astro Boy would be proud of to a more ladylike transformation. And as the hairstylist jokingly said, with my specs i can pull off the teacher look. Unsure whether that was a compliment or insult, i shrugged and spiked up the back of my hair more.

Funny how a haircut can change a person's look almost instantly. Does that mean i have to act more like a lady to accompany my new style? Hmmmm... i'm better off starting with my wardrobe.


No comments: