Monday, November 27, 2006

Welcome to my frosty Arctic Circle.

Unfortunately for me my fully furnished flat is no where near MTV Cribs standard. My tour would barely fill a full minute of footage and all the clutter [90% of my belongings would need to be chucked outside to give it that Minimalist/Zen look].

I guess it would help if i were famous and had a home fit for a magazine shoot. A place where i could show off my shiny cars which i'd refer to as 'toys'. All of which so happen to have the darkest tint that no UV ray or paparazzi flash could pierce through. What am i going on about? The only wheels that i own are a pair of roller skates that were hand me downs from my sister and i don't even know where they are. So scratch that idea.

So back to the Cribs episodes, the camera crew will usually zoom in on the fridge. Highlighting the colour coded soft drinks and neatly packaged goods. And depending on their occupation, a bottle or two of Cristal will pop up and appear in the corner.

But back to the world of the more common people, my fridge contains half filled bottles of what nots and random items that i suddenly felt like buying but ended up forgetting about. Each shelf has a variety of items that usually gets replaced once finished. And 99% of the time you will find multi-grain or whole meal bread stuffed somewhere in there along with a pack of Singles and a chunk of Dutch Edam cheese or an equivalent.

Half a shelf houses beer and continues to chill the white wine that i got from a friend so long ago, that i'm sure it's alcohol content has matured. [And yes, i did remember to lay it flat to prevent the cork from drying up]. My fridge is not the oldest i've seen that still works but occasionally it makes these weird sounds like the motor has just died and miraculously comes to life soon after. Thankfully i haven't had any issues in the past 6 months.

That was until just now when i had decided to make some pasta for dinner. I'm not sure why but i looked at the freezer [located in the upper section of the fridge] and thought, why does it look SMALLER? I mean it's not exactly huge to begin with but something looked odd.

I opened it and to my horror, i have somehow created a mini arctic circle! At least an inch and a half thick of ice has formed on the walls and floor bedding. It looks as though a blizzard has taken place without my consent and my bottle of vodka is encased in a layer of thick frost.

So when i wished upon a star for a white Christmas, i didn't think i'd have to bust out with a chisel and rags so soon. But here's wishing that the damn fridge conks out and can't be fixed, so that i can ask my land lady to replace it with one that preferably was manufactured in this millennium.

Yes, technology has done wonders in making our lives so much easier. Some serious defrosting is needed ASAP. *Goes off to find old newspapers, a wooden spoon, old rags and a bucket*

1 comment:

Curio said...

I used to have a gf in College Sq in Melb, and her fridge ALWAYS frosted over, and I'd have to use knives, weapons and other implements to patiently/violently hack stab chip at it to remove these huge chunks of ice. totally understand wat ur facing! hey it helps to blast ur music while ur at it!