Monday, September 25, 2006

I like paper + pretty pictures + words

I rarely read every article in those female magazines. Flipping past each page until i see a story that 'seems' interesting or review on a certain brand. But often you'll find me flip back and forth and lose interest until i find something else that stimulates my visual sensory. I was an avid reader of those teeny bopper mags that would list dozens of pointless quizzes that would define you into a category. Eager to dive into and learn about the latest gossip rumors, make-up techniques and 101 ways of attracting Mr. Right.

But then, just now, it dawned on me, you know you're getting older [wiser/concerned about the welfare of others] when you see stacks of magazines in the stationery store and without thinking twice you're inclined to pick up the one that screams for your attention. I guess that's why they hire designers to do the layout to attract a certain market.

There was the choice between picking up the beautifully photo shopped face with the embedded bold typeface that promises to share the 'what makes YOU more sexy' secrets. Versus another, more than twice the price and half the amount of pages sitting quietly beside it.

A crude black and white, untouched snapshot of a tribes man adorned with permanent facial artwork. With a simplistic yet thought provoking sub title ...Beauty or Art? I forked out my hard earned cash for the latter.

However i did fancy taking home the latest Wallpaper* 10 years; 1996 - 2006. It allows me to drool over designery fittings and furniture that is beyond my budget. And continues to put me in awe over cleverly designed architecture and product design that is just too cool and a must have, regardless whether it's worth its' hefty wallet damage. *sigh*

I guess that's what dreams are for.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOoooOO I just got the new Ikea catalog and you can buy fabric so you can sew stuff yourself. Some of that stuff is amazingly hip. I was surprised.

you're going to laugh at me, but Chris and I have been looking online for a house...not for NOW but just to see what's available.

We TOTALLY fell in love with an old farmhouse (PLUS it was really cheap). It has a barn and everything! I'm gonna really become a farmer lolol

winkris said...

Oh gawd, you're gonna be an udder pulling knitting nana! Your future children will be rolling on the hills chasing cows and helping shear sheep for your illegal kool-aid wool dying business.

OH my.