Tuesday, September 19, 2006

There is love...

6pm: It took 3 days for the bank to call me to remind me that my credit card was due. And before she could even say that i was late, i aplogised repeatedly and said i was going to pay by the end of the day.

Which worked out fine. Seeing that it was on top of my To Do list for Tuesday. So after work, i made my way into the city to pay off my bill, seeing that i had agreed on meeting the InterestedClubOwner this evening.

8pm: Having no idea what the person looked like, i scanned the place as though i knew who i was looking for. Sat outside and lit a cigarette and soon received a phone call. It was a male voice and as i looked around eyeing any person who was using their phone at the same time. A guy was standing inside and the voice on the other line said...

"Hi... Christina. Is that you with the glasses?"

I spent the next two hours chatting with the husband and wife team. And on first impressions, one would never guess they ran a night club. It was really nice to hear that my efforts as a promoter was being heard, not only to local clubbers that attend HS and BAXX nights but to others who have the same passion of introducing a genre to a scene that is virtually non-existent.

I chatted with them about how HS started and talked to them not only as a HS crew but someone who has a real passion for the music and pure dedication. And to hear from two complete strangers, that my efforts as a promoter on various forums is not only heard but is looked up to and commendable, feels really good. Being grateful and appreciated means a lot to me.

The role as a promoter for HS and BAXX, is beyond the number of clubbers i get under my presale list. And hearing myself speak to these two strangers, as to my reasons for putting so much of my time into it, made me realise that there are people out there who really do appreciate my efforts. Believe me, i'm not being forced to be a promoter and neither am i being paid a sum that i could live off of. I do it because i love it. If anything, the small amount i get, is like pocket money. Instead of ordering just a main meal, i can upgrade to the Large size or get the dessert [figuratively speaking of course].

Money doesn't grow on trees [as much as we'd like it to be]. But it just so happens i have a great day job that allows me to grow into a Creative person that i intend to become and fortunately, it pays for my bills, rent and luxuries. But it was never about money, although who wouldn't want a bigger bank account and have extra disposable income?

I admit, it's not easy being a promoter. As it involves a shit load of time. Whether it is rounding up enough confidence to speak to strangers, educating people about a genre, notifying media, speaking to contacts, convincing them that there is more out than RnB in this world or spending hours on end in forums to get to know the market and so on.

It's not as simple as rounding up your circle of friends. I've learned in the past year to jump out of my comfort circle and to show others, that we, i am just like them... nothing special and quite ordinary. And during which time, people can put aside the pretentiousness and the snobbery because honestly, that can get you only so far.

And with music, it was and still is my saviour. Although i wouldn't have a clue what to do if i were thrown behind the decks and what knobs to turn. [Deep in my heart, i am a wannabe DJ... i guess i fear rejection and making an absolute fool of myself].

So for the time being i will take satisfaction in promoting for what i believe in, whether or not the majority of clubbers in this country feel the same, i on the hand have complete faith not only to the genre, the Bass Agents but to the fact that the Power of Words can in fact influence and encourage ones' dream.

No comments: