Thursday, September 28, 2006

Sunway 1996

If anyone would ask me 10 years ago, what i'd be doing 10 years from then, i would probably have said something along the lines of, hopefully in a graphic design firm, earning a decent wage and in some European country.

Well i got the first two right. And i clearly remembered me telling my mates back then, there is NO WAY i'm working in Malaysia. At the time, the thought of being in this country was far down my list of places to work. And because i jinxed myself by saying i'll NEVER work in KL, my fate has led me to be in this country. And after living here for 37 months, i'm still here.

Even to the point of finishing one contract with a super dooper international advertising company and then to be offered a job at an acclaimed graphic design company [which i must say, is probably one of the best decisions i've made in my 26 and half years].

Then to receive a friendster bulletin calling all Sunway College 1996 intakes and friends, that it has been 10 years and reunion is in order. Has it been 10 years already!? It didn't surprise me who was the sender as this girl is always the one to be on the ball when it comes to organising get togethers, even back in the day.

So yesterday i sent a SMS to confirm my attendance and because i am vehicle-less, MissOrganiser offered to pick me up after work. Since the dinner is tonight, i made an effort to dress somewhat normal and put away my 3/4 shorts and baby T. And now sporting a nice black top [specifically bought for when i go to those Ghetto nights at Zouk], a denim skirt and not forgetting my GAP slippers.

I look at the confirmed list of attendees. They're the group of close friends that hung out together during the lunches and breaks. A collection of my sisters' friends and mine. The same people that hung out at my folks' house when we lived in Taman SA, Damansara Heights. The same people that celebrated my sisters' 21st birthday [now 31]. And another who happened to be the girlfriend of another at the time. I'm still trying to get a hold of one guy but he hasn't replied to my SMS... i'll try again later [i hope i got his number right and haven't just invited some random stranger to the dinner].

Nicknames such as Iggy Piggy, Maya Papaya, Bumjam and Boofy Twinz still echo in my ears. But how many of them i've lost contact with due to my schedule or how Time just manages to move on. And as predicted each one of us went our separate ways. All i know is a few got married therefore has '+1' next to their name, another got famous and adorns the covers of practically every local magazine in store and others remain single or have recently become single and continue to make ends meet.

But all in all, i must admit i am actually looking forward to tonight's mini reunion. I hope somebody was smart enough to bring a digital camera.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ZOMG tell those biatches that they have to do another when I'm ACTUALLY ABLE TO GO.

damn you all to the bowels of HELL!! :( :(

winkris said...

Yea maybe when you're down to Singapore at Christmas, you and Chris can take a short trip to KL and do all the touristy shit and i can organise a get together in your honour.

Anonymous said...

I was so bummed that i couldn't make it. jane told me vaguely about it a while back an dI said to let me know once the dates got confirmed as unlike the rest i actually have to take a PLANE!!!!! God it feels like just yesterday that the Boofy Twins rocked out of their vehicle and I said to zain," oh my god its the Boofy Twins!" Pls say hi to all if you get this in time.

winkris said...

Yea definitely!

I actually bumped into Bumjam a few months back and he gave me his number and while i tried calling it just now, it went straight to voicemail... so i dunno how else to contact him.

I think i still have some pics tucked away at my folks place of the boofy twinz from college days.

But yea... if there's a camera, i'll definitely take pics... ehehe.

Anonymous said...

I have quite a few pictures still from my short stay at Sunway but oddly enough the friends I made at Sunway are the ones i'm generally in more contact with then the ones I made from my college after. Will dig them up and if i can get organised will scan them. Oh god, the days before digital cameras!!!Have fun in singapore. Is your dad at the Swiss Hotel next to Clark Quay???

winkris said...

Yea Sunway days were pretty good fun eh?

I was just telling them last night how i have a few discriminating photos lying around and i'll dig them up this weekend and scan them. And how all these kids nowadays have it so easy with their digital cams and remember the days where we shot blurry shots. And then asking the person behind the counter, 3R or 4R, matt paper and white borders... ehehhe.

Nah my dad works in JB at the Seri Pacific Hotel. And on the weekend travels back to Singapore to stay with my mom. Yea it's a strange arrangement but it works.